Monday, January 4, 2010

THE ELEM-6 DIET, Part - 13: Goof-ups


Goof ups are inevitable, necessary, and essential to your learning. Expect them, welcome them...then take action.

What I want to stress here is that the problem with every other diet you've tried is that they didn't FIT you, your lifestyle, your personality, your likes & dislikes, etc. It was someone else's diet, packaged and sold to you. You try to fit it, successfully for a while, but you can't live with it forever. That's where ELEM is different. You will learn here how to build a lifestyle of eating less and exercising more that you can live with - custom designed by you and for you. Guided by core principles, but uniquely yours.

What works for me is different than what works for my brother. Neither of our paths will fit you perfectly. Your mistakes/weaknesses teach you where you need to adjust, retool, or compensate. Here's an example. My hubby and I went to the movies this weekend. I love movie popcorn. I know, I know. It is dastardly, greasy, loaded with transfats, sodium and probably thousands of calories. Its horrible nasty stuff. But I love it and I don't want to give it up. When I was in serious weight loss mode I worked around it by avoiding movies altogether or having lunch just before I went and bringing rice cake crisps instead. I also would not carry extra cash (I'm not gonna whip out the credit card for popcorn!). But now that I'm maintaining I need to learn how to work with it. So, I made a conscious decision to indulge and then compensate. So lunch today was a small bowl of soup and dinner was lite yogurt with an apple. I'll add an extra 15 minutes on the elliptical every morning this week and that should do the trick. (I'll let you know how it goes).

What sinful thing do you need to learn to avoid, adjust to, or accommodate? What will you do to work with it?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't make the 15 minutes a day extra on the elliptical - maybe 5-10. But within two days the 'blip' was gone from the scale. (by the way Avatar is a GREAT movie!)

    ReplyDelete